Underwater acoustics applied to the marine environment is an exciting but complex field that integrates several disciplines ranging from engineering to marine sciences (instrumentation, physics, signal processing, oceanography, biology and marine ecology). This also implies interactions within a highly diversified community in terms of fields of competences and profiles (e.g., researchers, environmental managers, technicians, private firms).
Today, there is a paucity in training programs for this “scientific niche”. This is why CHORUS offers training programs in underwater acoustics and soundscape ecology applied to the marine environment.
TRAINING PROGRAMS IN UNDERWATER ACOUSTICS AND SOUNDSCAPE ECOLOGY
The training programs are based on know-how achieved through long-term research activities and professional interdisciplinary experience of the members of CHORUS. The objectives of the training programs are to:
– highlight the essential elements in underwater acoustics without in-deep mathematical explanations,
– elicit operational skills based on a variety of applications and examples using real data,
– address both measurement and instrumentation as well as data processing and environmental analysis.
with at least a Bachelor degree in the fields of marine biology, oceanography or electronics, CHORUS provides two training programs at Grenoble INP:
- fundamentals in underwater acoustics : http://formation-continue.grenoble-inp.fr/technologie-du-numerique-et-de-la-communication/acoustique-sous-marine-propagation-traitement-et-instrumentation-761409.kjsp#page-presentation
- passive acoustic monitoring for environmental impact studies : http://formation-continue.grenoble-inp.fr/eau-environnement/acoustique-sous-marine-etudes-d-impact-761519.kjsp#page-presentation.
with MsC, PhD or post-doc degrees, CHORUS plans to organize an international spring school in eco-acoustics. Dates for 2018 will be posted on this website. CHORUS proposes daily up to weekly sessions in their fields of competences that include:
- acoustic instrumentation and measurement design
- data processing (noise levels, Fast Fourier Transform, sound detection,localization and classification)
- acoustic propagation
- soundscape ecology / eco-acoustics
- acoustic impact on marine fauna